The Diet-Voice Connection
The voice is a powerful tool, and it’s important to realize that everything consumed – whether it’s a food, drink or medicine – can affect it. Want to know how to tailor your diet to keep your voice healthy and clear? Here is the diet-voice connection.
These foods and drinks are generally recommended, when it’s especially important to have a strong voice:
- Water – Keeping the vocal cords hydrated is critical. If you know you’ll be singing or talking more than normal, then consider increasing your intake of water (and other non-caffeinated beverages).
- Fresh produce – Apples and yellow vegetables are good bets for vocal health.
- Lean protein – Fish, chicken and eggs help keep the body healthy, while not fighting against the voice.
On the other hand, monitor your intake of these items to keep your voice clear:
- Pain relievers – Over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen and aspirin can not only impact the voice, but also increase the risk of vocal-fold hemorrhaging.
- Alcohol – Intoxicating drinks constrict vocal-tissue blood vessels and lower your vocal control.
- Dairy products – Milk, cheese, ice cream and other dairy products can increase mucus production, leading to changes in the sound of the voice.
- Salty or spicy foods – Foods with some types of strong seasoning can lead to hoarseness and other vocal changes.
A healthy, balanced diet goes a long way in maintaining healthy vocal cords. But if you have questions about keeping your voice in top shape, feel free to call or visit our office. We’ll be happy to help you anytime.